ShieldX Product Reviews
ShieldX has been fortunate to have our amazing customers write some amazing reviews of the Elastic Security Platform on IT Central. Both reviews can be accessed here, but we’ve summarized some highlights below. All are direct quotes while we’ve added emphasis.
From the first product review:
- ShieldX makes the cloud safer than on-prem deployments. That is because that the number-one cause of security incidents today is human error, and those errors are often a result of very complex security structures. ShieldX makes it a lot easier and a lot simpler to define your policies and define your rules, and that greatly reduces the opportunity for user error.
- ShieldX also enables us to migrate to cloud environments faster. That is an important part of it for sure because it takes the exact same policies that we would apply to our on-premise environment and enables us to simply apply them to the cloud. It becomes one policy for both on-prem and for the cloud.
- The Adaptive Intention Engine is fantastic. It allows us to develop security policies using the language of our internal customers. It’s machine-learning applied to security workflows. That allows us to much more easily construct the policies that will protect those workflows.
- It gives us a lower dollar-per-protected-megabyte than a traditional firewall, but it’s also consuming fewer resources in our network environment because we’re not having to send our traffic out of the virtual environment just to send it back in. It also helps with lower maintenance costs.
- We switched to ShieldX because traditional firewalls are more expensive, and they require you to take all of your traffic outside of your virtual environment to inspect it and then return it back to the virtual environment. ShieldX lives inside of your virtual environment so it’s able to protect your workloads without having to send them north to a firewall only to come back down south to another resource.
- We evaluated vArmour and Illumio. They didn’t meet our requirements. ShieldX is a superior solution and I can give you the quick differences: Illumio is really an orchestrator so it’s not providing security controls. It is managing the security controls provided by the operating system. It manages Windows Firewall, for example. vArmour, which is a closer comparison to ShieldX because it does provide security controls inside of the virtual environment, is one of those monolithic firewalls, so it does not scale as well.
From the second product review:
- ShieldX has been designed from the very beginning to work well in cloud environments. It understands autoscaling, automation, and auto-configuration. These are the things which are important in today’s operating environment.
- ShieldX ensures that we can have the separation needed for our environment to avoid drastically increasing the cost on the licensing side. From this perspective, it’s been very positive and helpful.
- The Adaptive Intention Engine is important. The Adaptive Intention Engine explains what is the reason that we’re doing this security infrastructure, what are we trying to get out of it, and what’s the intent behind it? The problem with the way that things are done traditionally is you have an intent, but you now have to apply that intent in many places in order to achieve your goals. So, you end up with a duplication of effort in several areas. This is something which could take up quite a bit of time, both from an engineering, operations, maintenance, and troubleshooting perspective. If you have an issue now, you will need to look in two or three places to try and find the source of the issue. There was a lot of tracing which had to happen in our legacy operating method. In the new method, there is one place to design and apply a policy, which is simpler.